Sunday, January 31, 2010

Luis's Technology as Cultural Connector

As an 18 year old Oregon High School Senior, Luis shows how he uses technology in his video on edutopea.com. He uses technology in every part of his life. I'm sure that he does not have the easiest life with both of his parents being immigrants from Mexico but it makes him cherish the technology that he has. I feel like I say the same thing on all of the edutopea videos, but what I feel I get most from them is the understanding that I am going to have students that are extremely advanced with Technology and I have to learn to accept and use it in the classroom.






Again, I feel like I keep repeating my thoughts, but it really just makes me think of my sister and dad and how they have always kept up with the newest technology. I know that alot of people love every aspect of new technology and understand it well. Then there are others who do not, and thats me. But I do think there are benefits to using technology throughout life.

I love the lego robotics idea. My cousin is now a senior in high school and for the past two years, she has been involved in a program called Robotics where highschool students all across the country make robots to compete against each other in competitions. Last year, their robot had to be able to pick up balls and dump them into a chamber on another robot. The team with the least balls in their robot wins. They went to nationals and got 3rd in the rookie division. It's an extremely neat program but I don't feel qualified to teach it.

1 comment:

  1. I liked your post. It made me laugh because I am like you. While everyone in my family has had facebook, and other types of web pages, I have avoided it. As I am now struggling with my homework, for this class, I sure wish I had not. I can't help but think how much better off they are for already understanding and using the technologies we are struggling with. From what I can see, you are doing better in this class than you are giving yourself credit for. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete